Saturday, February 22, 2014

Latest Obsessions

*The Met
My heart beats for a few places in this big city and the Met Museum
is one of them.  I've been trying to go more often and leave with a few
sketches or photos of the pieces that inspired me on that trip.  The amazing
thing is that something different always speaks to me.  The most
recent trip I was taken by Matisse, Giorgio di Chirico, Picasso,
the Jewels by JAR exhibit, some of the architectural watercolors,
a Qing Dynasty vase, and some Paul Klee pieces.  Sometimes it's
so beautiful it moves me to tears and then there I am, a total weirdo,
lightly crying at the Met.  If I could live there I would.

*A 7th Grade Revivial
Lisa and I have been friends since 1996, in 7th grade we started
a journal that we would pass back and forth.  We ended up
with about 4 or 5 books filled with hilarious 7th grade thoughts
and when I read it now it partially makes me cringe (mostly at the
schizophrenic stream of consciousness style of writing) but even more
than that it makes me laugh hysterically. Lisa makes me laugh hysterically.
Our lives could not be more different at the moment but our friendship
has not changed. So for her birthday this year I sent a new journal for us
to start,with a couple pre-paid envelopes to send it back to me.  We've already
filled it with our normal inside jokes that have been standard since the late 90's
and that still make us crack up.  But it's so nice to read about her
day-to-day and what she's thinking about.
I hope this project lasts through several new journals.

*New Mexico
I am finally visiting my friend Lauren in New Mexico, she has lived there
for a few years now and a visit is long overdue.   I'm excited to explore a
new citybut also to sit around with her and Dan, maybe watch
'Play Misty for Me', eat snacks, and just catch up.
I miss seeing her on a regular basis.

*Pedralonga Do Umia
I have a lot to learn about Spanish wines, and I'm slowly finding things
that appeal to my palate.  Most recently I've fallen for this wine, a blend of
Mencia, Caino, and Espadeiro.  It reminds me of a Cab Franc from the Loire-
which is a serious favorite.  There is something so enticing and crisp
about this wine. It's soft, earthy, and perfect with a light chill. If you're
not typically a fan of Spanish wines I promise that this will change your mind.

*Plantain Tortillas
My tortillas did not look quite like the picture, but I'm blaming that on my
food processor more than anything.  The taste, however, was delicious and the
whole tortilla process took about 30 minutes from start to finish. I topped mine
with a guac, radishes, grilled cod, thinly sliced red cabbage and lime juice.
Super easy dinner, and a new way of thinking about tortillas.

*Erik Satie
I'm reading The Banquet Years by Roger Shattuck, it's about la belle epoque
in France between 1885 and WWI.  It focuses on Erik Satie, Henri Rousseau,
Alfred Jarry, and Guillame Apollinaire.  Naturally I visited a Rousseau painting
on my last visit to the Met, now I'm listening to a lot of Satie and Debussy.
I find it to be very soothing.



No comments:

Post a Comment