Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Minimal

I often think about how I can change my life
in both large and small ways.  On one hand I
live in my own fantasy world-so there's that, but
on the other hand I try to look for different ways to
improve my quality of life.  Through Design*Sponge
I stumbled across their Minimalist Game and it made
me curious.  It's a topic that has been on my mind for awhile
and something I've started to put into slight practice.

Basically the challenge is 30 days of slowly eliminating
the unnecessary.  On day 1 you get rid of one thing, you
can trash it, recycle it, or give it away. The 2nd day 2 things
and so on-until you reach 30.

The Minimalist website has a lot of essays and one of them
touches on the sentimental and how you should get rid of
that stuff too.  If you know me at all, you'll know that I am far
too nostalgic and emotional to ever get rid of some of the
more sentimental items I've been hoarding over the years.

The question is, what does that mean? Do I need to let things go
in order to have a sense of freedom in my life?  Just because
minimalism seems appealing does that mean I have to go full force
and turn my house into an empty gallery space? For me I know that
the answer is no.  But maybe that is the nice thing about the challenge,
(and about everything) finding your own personal balance.

I think I will take the challenge and see how I feel at the end of 30 days,
please let me know if you are taking the challenge too. I'm always interested
to hear people's thoughts on this.



No comments:

Post a Comment