Thursday, December 4, 2014

Traditions: The Old

Christmas, more so than any other time of year, is all about
carrying on and creating new traditions. This post is all about the
old.

When I was little some of my favorites were when our whole family
would hop in the van and drive around to Freda & Fred's
and other Christmas-y shops - I can't remember if my parents ever actually
bought anything or we all just went to bask in aisles of
decorations and Santa lands.  Another was on Christmas Eve after
the festivities at my grandparents house, on our way home
we would drive around our development and look at all the
Christmas lights on all the houses.  My Mom also used to have us
put out our shoes on the night of the 5th so that St Nicholas could come
and leave us little presents.

Christmas Eve was also a really big event in the ways of tradition
and my cousin and I became obsessed with it.
We would call each other in November and talk on the phone
(for what seemed like hours) about every little detail
about Christmas Eve.  We knew exactly where certain
decorations would be, and what kind of snacks would be
set out where, the food that would be served, the conversations
that would happen- we knew everything.  And for whatever reason
it pleased us immensely to discuss it at length.

 The Christmas Eve event has since moved to my parents house
and the first year or two was a little odd, but we slowly got into
our own groove. Now that a few of the cousins are married,
myself included, it becomes harder to see each other every year,
but the feeling of that night still exists when we all can be together.

One tradition that has always existed and still exists is that
in the Chambers House, we do not do anything on Christmas Day.
That has always been a day for us to all just relax at the house together,
no running around trying to see people, that day is just for us.
We have a huge breakfast, snacks all day, and a big feast for dinner.
Many naps are taken, video games and board games are played,
movies are watched, and we all just enjoy being together.

This year we will be spending Christmas with my family
and I can't wait. It will also be an interesting year because it
is our last without little baby here. But, I guess it will only get more
magical once he arrives and we can bring him into our old traditions
and start some new ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment