Friday, July 5, 2013

A Year in Books: June

The List for June is as follows:

*Sirens of Titan-Kurt Vonnegut
*The Great American Ice Cream Book-Paul Dickson
*The Mysterious Sea- Lester del Rey

One of my wine reps and I will do book exchanges
and he gave me Sirens of Titan and I gave him Galapagos.
We both enjoyed our respective reads, and I'll probably
pick up another Vonnegut book this month.  He's one
of the Husband's favorite authors so I know we've got
a bunch of his books around the house.

The next one on the list probably seems odd, and
I suppose it is.  But I love reading the history of
random things, and who doesn't love ice cream?
It was actually a really interesting book, and you get
a list of sundae and soda fountain recipes at the end.
Bonus.

Finally, I read The Mysterious Sea.  I had happened to
meet a producer from Apuglia right around the time
I had gotten to the part about the plates shifting,
sea mountains forming, and the rise and fall of land
in and out of the ocean.  So this producer says that a few feet
down in his soil there is a calcareous layer-meaning that
his land used to be underwater.  I felt like all of my interests
had come full circle and collided with each other.
Wine felt bigger than it ever had before, and while I always knew
about this layer and what it meant, it felt extremely profound
on this particular day.  Wine is history, and that is amazing.




No comments:

Post a Comment