Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Mom Mom's Bread

I had breakfast at Mom Mom's house a few weeks ago,
she made a feast that was definitely big enough for 4 people.
half pound of bacon, 2 scrambled eggs, crepes and strawberries.
Needless to say I didn't eat it all but it was packed up,
along with a loaf of her white bread and nut bread, for me to
take home.
















I've been nibbling on the nut bread every now and again
and on Sunday I sliced up the regular loaf of bread.
I also made a large amount of sea salted butter,  so naturally
I slathered a few pieces with it and enjoyed.
It's the kind of thing that you can eat way too much of
and then trick yourself into thinking it's ok because
your grandmother made it.

As I get older I realize more and more the importance
of food, cooking, and sharing meals.  Another
aspect of that is keeping family recipes alive.
So I think that a small goal for the next year will
to be to start to make some of Mom Mom's recipes.
It took me almost a decade to be able to make scrambled
eggs that were just like hers -and to be fair I didn't really
start cooking until my late 20's so scrambled eggs were still
considered a culinary art. It's never to early to start anything
so I think I'll tackle the pierogi recipe sometime in the very
near future.  Stay Tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment