Monday, January 14, 2013

The Sketchbook Project

I'm sending in my sketchbook today.
Somehow I managed to fill it in just a few weeks,
and it really felt good.  It also gave me a new
drawing obsession, the mussel colony.
The ones that cover and snake along the pages
are what I imagine and underwater overgrowth of mussels
to look like.( I'm currently working on a large size of it)

I love repetitive drawing, there is something very soothing about it.
Lately I've been trying to work on things that are detail oriented so
that it forces me to slow down.  I can sometimes speed through the drawing
process so having meticulous details really helps to put the brakes on.

I had intended to put some collages in, but realized that when it comes to
my collage work I am extremely selfish.  They are the works that I treasure
the most and I hate the idea of parting with them (odd, I know).
Maybe because they are one of a kind, they can never be made in the same
way ever again because they are a combination of images from dozens
of outdated magazines.

I enjoyed doing this project, it got me back into a working mode,
and now the Sketchbook will go on tour and eventually settle in Brooklyn
where maybe, possibly people will take it out and look at it.

Here are a few of my favorite pages:
The dreaded Anglerfish









































I did put in some photos that I really liked,
arctic photos, with their deep blues and greens,
are some of my favorites.




































These are my mussel colonies, or at least the first
stage of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment