Monday, March 18, 2013

Just Like Honey

I randomly pulled out my book on fermentation last night
and started flipping through it.  I landed on the page for how to
make Mead and it seemed so easy, the husband and I had to try.




















1 part raw honey to 4 parts filtered water in a jar with a lid
shake vigorously to combine and continue to shake a few
times a day for about 10 days. (a jar without a lid is recommended for
honey that isn't raw)  Be sure to release the pressure
that will build up by unscrewing the lid after shaking.
The natural yeasts in the raw honey should start the fermentation
and the bubbling should begin.

This is a shot of day 2, after shaking there is a thick foam of
bubbles at the top.  I was told our honey was raw-I guess
this will be the true test!




















After our little experiment last night I started really
reading through the book and it is extremely fascinating.
Just the history of fermentation, the current war on bacteria,
and all of the things that you can ferment.  I told the
husband that I thought it would be awesome if we had a whole
countertop of jars with fermenting foods in them.  We already have
the kombucha looking like an alien specimen-why not add a few more?






2 comments:

  1. Or, you could have a closet full of beer and sauerkraut, like us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll need to make more closet space! Sauerkraut is the one I really want to try

    ReplyDelete