Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Pursuit

If I experience/hear/see something twice in a short period of time
I consider it something worth delving deeper into.  Happiness
is the latest of those things.  The Happiness Project sparked this.
I read about it briefly yesterday, and then last night- in a 
continued conversation about being happy- my friend also
mentioned it.  

This is something I've been working on in my personal life,
finding happiness.  When I say that I don't mean that I'm struggling
to get through a deep depression or that I'm unhappy with my place in
this big world.  It means that I'm trying to enjoy life.  Being able to
look back on each day and be happy about the decisions that I made
for myself, whether or not people agree or understand.  

The husband and I have started reading about Buddhism
(part the inspiration? MCA) Because let's be honest, 
you cannot find something if you never start to look for it.
And we felt like that was a good place to start.  I was about to write
that it's less about religion when it became apparent that labels
are so important to everyone, why did I have to clarify that
it's not about religion? Why do I feel the need to ascribe my
eating habits to an -ism? Why do we constantly have to justify
our choices?  Maybe true beauty (and happiness) lies in living without
some of the constraints. By forging your own path and finding ways
to make things fit for you.

It's really an interesting concept, happiness, but also something
that is so different for everyone. On the materialistic level I used to 
find happiness in shopping at Burberry, at the sweet age of 19 I felt that 
being able to afford these"luxury" items gave me a sense of feeling fancy.  
Now, in terms of consumption happiness I find the most happiness 
getting lost in used bookstores, buying wine, and shopping
at the greenmarket.  It changed from items to experiences, engaging with
the farmers at the market, taking the food home to make dinner with
the husband, sitting down and enjoyinga bottle of wine together or with
a group of friends.  What makes you happy? How has it changed from
a decade ago?  It's interesting to see how priorities and beliefs shift.
I think it's possible to see so much beauty in those changes.

I started to wonder why happiness played such a big part in the minds of
people. Then I realized that it's part of  the American mantra.
"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"
What they don't tell you is that you need to find your own form of happiness.
So I encourage you to find it. Whether it is something huge and life changing
or something as small as taking time to cook dinner or enjoying how the warm
sun feels on your face.
Make thoughtful daily decisions, stop and enjoy things, do what is right for you.
Perhaps that should be the new mantra..


for further curiosity:
The Happy Movie
The Happiness Project


1 comment:

  1. We watched the Happy Movie a while back and it made me re-evaluate what I needed to be happy, mainly "things" and "possessions". It's amazing how many people can be so happy with so little!

    ReplyDelete