Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Meal Plan

Something that I have been trying to work on
is cutting down my food waste.  I read that each year
Americans waste 33 million tons of food, an absolutely
nauseating amount - don't you think?
I've definitely been guilty of this-I'll buy too much
of something or forget about some leftovers in the fridge
next thing I know, they've passed their prime and it's time
for the trash.  I feel like this is a common issue, especially for
people that cook a lot.

The husband and I are putting ourselves on a bit of a budget
for the next month or so, and one of the things that we've decided
to do was to plan out our weekly meals before shopping
and then buy accordingly. This way we have food to eat throughout
the whole week, and (hopefully) nothing will go to waste.

I'm hoping to keep our weekly budget around $80

This week's menu options look like this
Breakfast
Oatmeal
Apple/Banana Muffins
Juice
Eggs

Snacks
Channa Nuts (roasted chickpeas)
White Bean dip
Raw peanut butter cookies
Fruit

Lunch
Salad
Sandwiches

Entrees
Roasted Portobello Mushrooms with Kale
Mushroom and Leek Barley Risotto
Enchiladas Verdes con pollo
Westphalian Beef Stew with root vegetable mash

I think it looks pretty good for week 1

I'll keep you posted on the progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment