Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Home Remedies

I definitely jinxed myself. I had gone the whole winter
without being truly sick, and now here I am all stuffy
and sleepy. Boo.

I've been getting more than a little carried away with my sweets intake lately.
There is this amazing gluten free bakery right by work, and I think that most
of the days last week I stopped in for a coffee and a cookie. I usually just limit
myself to a piece of super dark chocolate-and not everyday!
This past weekend I indulged in Stock's Cake, chocolate covered pretzels and
other desserts.  Next thing you know...sickness.  (weather fluctuation never helps)
Sugar causes inflammation in the body and suppresses the immune system.
The best bet for fighting back is to put in foods that will help, rather than
sugar-laden medicine from the drug store (check the label, most have some
form of sugar: ie: fructose, glucose etc)
So here are some of my favorite home remedies or foods

*hot water with lemon
*Greens=spinach, kale, arugula, lettuce
*a teaspoon filled with honey, covered with freshly chopped garlic
swallowed down with water.
*Vegetable juice- make sure there are greens, beets and parsley
*No refined sugar
*No dairy
*Tinctures of Marshmallow Root-for throat health, and Nettle-for
inflammation
*Soup (anything with a lot of veggies and no cream)

Do you have any favorites?


2 comments:

  1. Chicken soup, always. Oddly, I often crave the chicken and noodles from my local Chinese spot - Something about that super clean, clear broth. I had a wicked bout of stomach bug a couple of weeks ago and it was the only thing I wanted to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something extremely soothing about the broth in asian soups. I love the clear broth with tofu, glass noodles and mushrooms from Dee Thai.

    ReplyDelete